5-19-11 GAME THREAD: The Turd in the Punchbowl, Another Rap Battle and Not Much More

by AshlandATeam 19. May 2011 00:28

Game Time: 12:35 at GABP, 11:35 in Ashland

Lineups:

Pittsburgh (19-23, 15-22 against teams not from Cincinnati)

TBA

McDonald 1

Cincinnati (25-18, 24-14 against teams not from Pittsburgh)

Heisey 8

Renteria 6

Votto 3

Phillips 4

Bruce 9

Cairo 5

Lewis 7

Hernandez 2

Cueto 1

Leading Off: The Pirates have done it. They have officially become the guy at the party who constantly farts; the one slice of pizza that all the cheese falls off of as soon as you pick it up; the pair of boxers that couldn't be more comfortable until the day you get them out of the dryer and realize the crotch has torn out of them; the spot in the middle of your back that you can't quite reach to scratch; the one and only available toilet in a public restroom that's covered in urine; the uncle who not only drinks heavily at every holiday, but who gives away family secrets each and every year; the episode of the Star Wars saga that includes Jar Jar Binks; the one song that you hate so much it makes you want to become a serial killer but gets stuck in your head every time you hear a line from the second verse of it, which just so happens to be something so innocuous and ordinary that you hear on a nearly daily basis.

In other words, the Pittsburgh Pirates have officially become the team that can destroy the 2011 Cincinnati Reds.

Don't believe me? Think I'm being dramatic? Consider the 2010 Houston Astros. They won a mere 76 games, and by any standard, were a miserable excuse for a baseball team. And yet, the St. Louis Cardinals simply couldn't beat them, losing 10 of 15 for the season. Here's some fun with numbers:

2010 Cardinals, minus Houston: 81-66

2010 Reds, minus Houston: 81-66

One team and one matchup can completely change the course of a season. And for whatever reason, the Pirates have the Reds' number in 2011. Four out of five games, they've won, all in Cincinnati, and frankly, most of them haven't been close.

I'm not predicting doom and gloom. I'm not going to pretend that the season is over, or ignore that we've still won 11 out of our last 14 games. All I'm saying is this: if we go 5-10 or 4-11 against the poopy Pirates and lose the division by three games, I'm going to throw up a mix of bile, blood, and shoe leather.

So please, Reds -  play like you do against everyone else, and win a freaking game today.

There's hope though! Today's pitching matchup heavily favors our beloved Redlegs. Johnny Cueto's career line against the Pirates is 9-2 with an ERA of 2.62 with 84 strikeouts in 79 innings. That's good, and the Kung Fu Kid has yet to yield an earned run yet this season in his two games, both of which were wins.

And on the hill for the Pirates? James McDonald, a.k.a. 'the guy we lit up like a Christmas tree that game that Gomes homered twice and the Reds won in a landslide, making us all believe that the Pirates were not, as they've seemed in their other four games, the 1927 Yankees.'

Finally, in case you hated the starter, here's another rap battle. Frankly, I thought the Biebs hung in there quite well, and until the final two (amazingly hilarious) barbs from Beethoven, I thought was the winner. But I can't give the victory to the pop star; it's all classical all the time in the rap game here at Reds October.

Comments (131) -

River Otter
River Otter
5/19/2011 1:13:47 AM #

Well done, Ash.  I think you exhausted every good metaphor for the Pirates.  Unfortunately, I won't be around for tomorrow's game.

I expect our record to even out with the Pie Rats over the rest of the season.  The problem so far -- Bailey has yet to pitch against the Buccos.  If my memory serves me, he's like 50-0 with a 0.00 ERA against them.

Sadly, I can't seem to get the rap battle link to work.  I'll have to try again later.

genewv
genewv
5/19/2011 8:13:11 AM #

Ash,

Excellent starter,--above and beyond, and entertaining on many levels, especially the introduction. It takes a lot to make me laugh before coffee at 8:00 A.M., but i admit I chuckled several times on your opening, as Otter has already alluded to.

As you say, every team seems to have "one of those" opponents every year. This year it just might be the Pirates.

I won't be around today, either, unless my schedule changes. I will tape the game the DVR, hope to see it later in the day.

You folks bring us home a winner.

5/19/2011 8:15:03 AM #

Wow, those are fascinating numbers about the Reds and Cards vs. the Astros last year.

Last night's game was so boring that I switched to American Idol.  And that was so boring that I just went to bed and read Sports Illustrated.  Anyone else a subscriber to SI for the past 35+ years?  Still love that mag.

It's still gloomy here with the possibility of rain.  If for any reason it clears up and warms up, I might jump in the car at the last minute and catch today's game.  I love that I can make that decision at 11:45 for a 12:35 game and not miss an inning.

genewv
genewv
5/19/2011 8:15:10 AM #

Someone take Soccer some coffee out in the car. If not, he may not wake up in time.

5/19/2011 9:33:23 AM #

Here I am. Coffeed up and ready to roll. Kids off to school ,dog walked,getting a new weed eater today and Kroger all before game time. I have to think of new ways to insult Cleveland for my starters this weekend. Mr. Mom rocks !

Amy
Amy
5/19/2011 9:28:01 AM #

Freakin' sweet:

morganensberg.wordpress.com/.../

5/19/2011 9:40:55 AM #

I have always found baseball players to be the funniest people I've ever met. It's a funny game with lots of downtime to be funny.To be successful, you don't have to be incredibly intense at all times like football. In fact, the opposite is true. I've had more water shooting out of my nose moments in the dugout than any other place.

5/19/2011 9:43:18 AM #

And generally speaking,with few exceptions, you don't hate your opponent.

5/19/2011 9:56:48 AM #

This is awesome.

5/19/2011 10:08:43 AM #

Ash, great starter.  I'm with you on Pittsburgh.  I do think they have improved a lot.  After that first series last year, we were fine against them.  I am confident we'll be fine this year as well, although I do remember a lot of the games last year were close, tougher than they should have been.  Today is important.

5/19/2011 10:12:22 AM #

Really, what irritates me more is the Cardinals keep winning, especially those two against Philly.  It's not just that I don't like them, they are NOT a good team.  IMO, their defense is worse than the Cubs and their bullpen is awful.  They hit well, but their superstar best hitter has been average at best.  I also don't think their starting pitching is that good without Wainright.

Philly just happened to have half their lineup out, which I'm sure won't be the case against us next week.

5/19/2011 10:16:52 AM #

Reds lineup is up and Dusty has used the combination of a  loss and a day game following a night game to shake up the lineup. Both Lewis and Heisey, along with Bruce, make up the outfield today, while MonkeyPoop plays at third and ER takes over at short (but still second in the batting order--can't change too many things at once)

Champ Summers
Champ Summers
5/19/2011 10:17:19 AM #

great starter dude.

That jousting link needs to be on my facebook page.

This is the game we sit gomes?

btalbert25
btalbert25
5/19/2011 10:24:13 AM #

I think today is a pretty big game.  They need to win that last game, before going on the road.  I'm thinking the Reds will end up with a nice record against the Pirates when all is said and done.

I feel for my poor wife today.  The Kindergarteners she teaches at Oyler will be attending the Reds game today.  They have a company who adopts the whole Kindergarten and they have decided to take the kids to the game today.  I typically try to go along on field trips, but I'm not sorry to miss this one lol.

5/19/2011 10:28:56 AM #

but I'm not sorry to miss this one lol.

chicken

5/19/2011 10:45:41 AM #

Not chicken,smart!  A man has got to know his limitations.  I did a tour of the plant that makes individual condiment,sauce,syrup packs with a group of 4th graders earlier this week. I know most of these kids and they are good smart kids. Curiosity is a powerful thing. It was like herding cats to keep them from going where they weren't supposed to be and  getting smoked by a forklift or touching a hot cauldron of taco sauce. I can't imagine going to a ballgame with an army of Kindergarteners. I would pull out all seven of my remaining hairs.

btalbert25
btalbert25
5/19/2011 11:07:03 AM #

I don't mind museum and zoo trips, stuff like that where the kids keep moving, but when they are sitting in the same seat for 3 hours and vendors keep coming by selling 5 dollar lemon chills and they all start whining for them, I just can't handle that lol.  I'm pretty good at the herding cats part, it's listening to 50+ kids whining that I can't handle lol.

5/19/2011 11:11:54 AM #

50+ Chris Carpenters is not good.

5/19/2011 10:34:21 AM #

I don't think Cueto or Bailey will lose to the Pirates this year. Bad matchups so far. Arroyo can lose to anyone, Volquez can lose to anyone, and Wood/Leake has been eh so far.

But Cueto and Bailey? Historical dominance of bad teams, such as the Pirates. Don't expect that to change.

5/19/2011 10:36:58 AM #

I know it's hard not to go on that field trip, but I understand.  I've been to 4 or 5 Reds games since my son was born.  3 of them he was there, two of which I had him myself without my wife.  Granted it was great to be there with him, but I wasn't able to pay much attention to the actual game. It ended up being ok because there wasn't much to watch as we lost all three easily, but it's not like I get up there more than once a season.

5/19/2011 10:36:21 AM #

Kevin Goldstein says something nice about Yonder Alonso! Apparently he's not a complete tool, seeing as how he has done a 180. I think last year he would have said you'd be better off playing Bernie Brewer.

Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein
He can be below average but adequate there. RT @nburzych: @Kevin_Goldstein think Alonso has any shot of being a major league LFer?

5/19/2011 11:07:27 AM #

If that's the case, then we need his bat in the lineup. Get him up here.

5/19/2011 11:09:41 AM #

Carry over from previous page
Yes Dennis, I'm the guy that bought a Zune. I love it. It does what I want. I can drop it and it doesn't break. I can have thousands of songs without doing anything technically illegal. My kids had 'em and hated 'em. I know they are having problems and are not making the units anymore. From what I understand, the store will stay open. If not, I've got to have SocSon get busy with whatever he does to have thousands of songs on his IPod. I don't want to know. Plausible deniability is good.

5/19/2011 11:13:13 AM #

Great starter, Ash! I like all the comparisons. It's like the Pirates are the black fly in your chardonnay, like rain on your wedding day... oh, what's the word I'm thinking of... (maybe that's the song you alluded to too?)

I just caught up through yesterday's thread too. It's been a busy week, and I'm out of town and mostly incommunicado this weekend too. So there were a couple of things I noted yesterday I wanted to comment on:

1) SoccerDad, how about this:

Did the Pirates choke on their dubloons?

No, it was pizza they ate!

2) Mary, I'm not getting the California first 5 ads (yet). I feel your pain, but I'm still only in Dante's 4th circle of hell with the constant umpiring ads. I'm getting to the point where I'd rather be waterboarded in the commercial breaks.

3) Once again, great starters for this short series, Ash. I really liked the number crunching comparison you did on the Astros/Cards last year to Pirates/Reds this year. I remember these scurvy dogs dominating the Reds early in the season last year too, so I'm not going to get my gut in a corset over it yet, but I'm sucking in air in preparation.

btalbert25
btalbert25
5/19/2011 11:14:20 AM #

I missed yesterday's starter as I was working on a 2nd home we have that we are trying to get on the market(anyone need a house? lol) but, did anyone else hear about this awesome promotion for tickets?  For every game the Reds win, they knock 4 dollars off of field box seats for I think the Cubs series at the beginning of June.  If they win today I believe that will make a 36 dollar seat 12 bucks.  That's pretty awesome.

5/19/2011 11:16:48 AM #

Rumor has it Jocketty paid the team to tank this series so as to prevent the tickets from getting down to $6 a seat.

btalbert25
btalbert25
5/19/2011 11:22:49 AM #

lol I'm probably going to log on and buy some today.  They say they go on sale 1/2 hour after the game ends today.

5/19/2011 11:48:01 AM #

Cueto's Cannonballs Fill PieRat Holes and Sink the Buccos
Old MacDonald Trades PieRat Ship for the Farm

I hope the boys live up to one of those bylines today.

There is always one team that bites the Reds badly.  I hope the Rats don't give 'em rabies this year.  For many recent years, it was whoever they played on their West Coast swing, as well as the Brew Crew, the Lastros or the WLBs.  I don't like it, but I can live with being bested by the Rats this year.  As long as that's the only team to do it.  The Reds HAVE to win the series against the Interleaguers and the rest of the schedule.  Consider the home series with the Rats a Brain Fart and move on.

My wife has taught K-3 for 22 years in Cincinnati Public.  Not once has a company "adopted" her school.  Then again, Oyler isn't one of the combat schools my wife has taught in over the years.

Soccer...let me know if you need insults for Cle...um...Cl...dangit...CRAPLAND

5/19/2011 12:20:29 PM #

Was thinking about going to the game today but couldn't find anyone to join me.  Of course, that means we'll win 12-0.

5/19/2011 12:23:22 PM #

And the sun will break out and warm breezes will waft in from center field.

5/19/2011 12:24:03 PM #

Which won't keep the Reds from blasting five home runs.

5/19/2011 12:44:36 PM #

14 pitch, 1-2-3 first for Cueto

5/19/2011 12:46:20 PM #

The 12-0 win is successfully underway.

5/19/2011 12:54:08 PM #

that was a fine catch by McCutcheon in CF and Heisey is doubled up

Amy
Amy
5/19/2011 12:56:36 PM #

The Joey Votto workout:

5/19/2011 1:43:51 PM #

he stole my workout from me! Smile

5/19/2011 1:00:32 PM #

no score after one; I'm more than ready to see the Reds start getting those 12 runs

5/19/2011 1:14:26 PM #

I don't know if any one else is able to watch this game, but Cueto thought the count was 2-2 when it really was 3-2 and had to check the scoreboard after he saw the batter heading to first --then he mouthed very clearly "oh, shit"

5/19/2011 1:16:51 PM #

He really wanted a K w/ a runner at third and 1 out..........finally got it on Cedeno.

Regardless, terrible inning. Too good for that nonsense.

5/19/2011 1:45:35 PM #

Catchers are smarter than pitchers. That being said, after the 2-2 shakeoff, if i was Dog I would have been out there asking WTF he was thinnking and not let it get to that point.

5/19/2011 1:17:20 PM #

Cueto leaves the bases loaded, but the score tied at 0-0 (44 pitches)
middle of two

5/19/2011 1:20:24 PM #

BTW, great positionin gby Heisey, or James McDonald would have had a 2 run base hit

5/19/2011 1:20:30 PM #

BrUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE

5/19/2011 1:20:37 PM #

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCEEEE!!!

5/19/2011 1:20:50 PM #

There's the first of my five homers.

5/19/2011 1:20:52 PM #

5/19/2011 1:22:12 PM #

for the Pirates, that is a somewhat realistic thing to aspire to

5/19/2011 1:24:53 PM #

1-0 Reds,end of two

5/19/2011 1:30:48 PM #

a quick third for Cueto (54 pitches)

middle of three 1-0 Reds

5/19/2011 1:44:37 PM #

69 pitches through four scoreless innings for Cueto

1-0 Reds middle of 4

5/19/2011 1:44:56 PM #

Grizz wrote:
"Pirates announcer says goal is to make sure no one is on base when you give up homeruns"

I wish Bronson had hear this yesterday. A 2-0 deficit might have given the guys some hope in the later innings.

5/19/2011 1:52:21 PM #

You still getting the First 5 ads, Mary? I've been getting more Exxon Mobil ads with the smirking CEO lately. Plus MLB.com shop and umpire schools, though they have been blissfully absent so far today.

5/19/2011 2:05:22 PM #

the EX-Mo ads are today's feature; no umpire school and, blessedly, most half inning breaks have been SILENT!!

5/19/2011 2:44:25 PM #

still (incredibly) 4-1 Rats middle of 7

5/19/2011 1:57:06 PM #

That was a really sloppy play by the Reds to let McCutchen score

5/19/2011 1:57:44 PM #

Phillips couldn't handle the hard shot, then Bruce missed the cutoff. Bush.

5/19/2011 2:00:06 PM #

After the ump misses that pitch, cueto needs to keep his brain fragments in one place and bear down.

5/19/2011 2:02:01 PM #

Pirates announcers are all I get from mlb.tv. I'm going to have to mute lest they hypnotize me to sleep.

5/19/2011 2:04:23 PM #

Rather a dull duo aren't they. They are the MLB Network feed. Cueto let the missed call get to him. Poopsticks!

5/19/2011 2:07:08 PM #

I listened to them last year when we saw the Reds in Pittsburgh and they were DULL, DULL, DULL.

5/19/2011 2:09:12 PM #

Zzzzzzzzz... I'm feeling very sleepy..... When they count to 1-2-3 strikes you're out, I will wake up and be a Pirates fan... zzzzzzzzzzz.......

5/19/2011 2:10:17 PM #

Good gawd, what a nightmare.

5/19/2011 2:09:34 PM #

As much as we complain about our group, we're pretty lucky to have pros and personalities.

5/19/2011 2:14:56 PM #

it's rare to throw a fastball by Dog.

5/19/2011 2:02:55 PM #

what is happening?  these are the PIRATES

5/19/2011 2:03:27 PM #

Crap.

Cueto getting squeezed by the ump. 92 pitches or so already. But he's got to keep his composure here. (what Soccer said)

5/19/2011 2:05:50 PM #

You have to let it go. It happens, get over it.

5/19/2011 2:04:07 PM #

3-1 Bucs middle of five

5/19/2011 2:07:20 PM #

Go Monkeypoop!

RedFaced
RedFaced
5/19/2011 2:08:09 PM #

Where is the offense against this club?

5/19/2011 2:11:00 PM #

Dusty has them on the bench today.

Amy
Amy
5/19/2011 2:11:54 PM #

Heh. You mean Gomes, right?

5/19/2011 2:14:15 PM #

Smile

5/19/2011 2:14:57 PM #

Yes, and now he's up!

5/19/2011 2:16:10 PM #

Er. I mean No! I was definitely not talking about Gomes!

5/19/2011 2:14:23 PM #

C'mon Ramon! You gotta make contact at least there!

5/19/2011 2:16:57 PM #

it's rare to throw a fastball by Dog.

5/19/2011 2:22:21 PM #

It's not rare to throw one by Gomes. I'm going to go hitting coach here. Gomes has the worst swing mechanics of an establihed position player since David Ross. His head has both drift(forward movement) and turn. His hands and arms are in a tight fully cocked position. No relaxation and freedom of movement. Tightness= tension=slow reaction time. That leads to having to cheat on a fastball which leads to getting fooled on offspeed stuff. He can hammer high hangers and middle of the plate mistakes.

5/19/2011 2:24:38 PM #

Maybe too much batting-helmet adjusting? I hear that makes you go blind too.

5/19/2011 2:26:14 PM #

So many wise ass off color comments to make about that, so little time.

5/19/2011 2:17:12 PM #

Really? Four FREAKING pitches, Jonny?  Maybe I should shut down GameCast.

5/19/2011 2:20:27 PM #

Welcome to his past month in a nutshell.

5/19/2011 2:23:09 PM #

See above for an astute breakdown by one of the best hitting coaches I know.

5/19/2011 2:23:19 PM #

Jordan Smith made a great pitch there. Outside corner, sinking away. Doumit just rocked it. Crud missiles.

5/19/2011 2:25:22 PM #

Is crud missiles worse than poopsticks?

5/19/2011 2:33:22 PM #

I think so. Like anything, I'd guess it would depend on the actual ordinance...

5/19/2011 2:35:31 PM #

You're right. The delivery system is of secondary importance.

5/19/2011 2:40:03 PM #

from my understanding...and I may be totally wrong...poopsticks are incendiary and crud missiles are more concussive

5/19/2011 2:42:01 PM #

This discussion reminds me how difficult it is to keep a straight face when I try to tell my three boys that they aren't allowed to tell poop jokes at the dinner table.

5/19/2011 2:45:49 PM #

I've given up! Not that I ever really wanted them to, but for the sake of SocMom, I had to try. SocSon just eggs the Little Guy on. It amuses me to no end to listen to my LL team or The Little Guy and his friends. Function,fluids and semi fluids are the funniest thing in the world to 7-12 year old boys.

5/19/2011 2:42:57 PM #

Very good for not having boys!

5/19/2011 2:46:36 PM #

To Jabber

5/19/2011 2:37:38 PM #

The Pirates announcers keep saying "J-Mac." That must be their hypnotism trigger word.

5/19/2011 2:45:12 PM #

still (incredibly) 4-1 Rats middle of 7

and the sun is out--must be time for that 11 run inning the Reds are due for vs. the rats

5/19/2011 2:47:02 PM #

Now we get this guy.

5/19/2011 2:49:38 PM #

F&$^!!!!!!!!!%$#@&*@#$)(@#&%!&$&!! and Motherf&@&#(&%(@(!!(!!!!!!!

5/19/2011 2:49:52 PM #

well, getting a hit is how a rally starts, but trying to stretch it into a double and getting thrown out at second is not

5/19/2011 2:50:08 PM #

particularly when Bruce follows with a  single

5/19/2011 2:57:17 PM #

Well. Crap and poop and doo doo and everything else a monkey can throw. Now I have to go to a meeting. Bring home a win, RedsOctober!

5/19/2011 2:58:10 PM #

have a lovely meeting.

5/19/2011 3:09:39 PM #

I have to leave to get The Little Guy from school. Maybe the car thing will work again.

5/19/2011 3:07:39 PM #

this defense is starting to look a bit like the Chubbies--too much exposure to bad defense has apparently  spread the infection to the Reds

5/19/2011 3:11:42 PM #

5-1 Pie Rats middle of 8

5/19/2011 3:19:27 PM #

WTF is this umps issue here?
All the pitches to Stubbs were balls, but two were called strikes.
Very similar pitches to Heisey, all balls, all called balls.

Veras is yet to throw a true strike.  There it is, on pitch #12 of the inning.

5/19/2011 3:23:44 PM #

The ump must have an afternoon delight set up at one of the No Tells in Kentucky by the airport

5/19/2011 3:22:21 PM #

As Ian anderson (Jethro Tull) would say...

Bring me my Broadsword and some understanding!

5/19/2011 3:26:08 PM #

There ya go Joey!

5/19/2011 3:27:08 PM #

Awwwwwwwwwwwww CRICKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/19/2011 3:29:53 PM #

I really, REALLY hate the Pirates.

5/19/2011 3:39:37 PM #

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!   too bad the pie rat pitcher again had no one on

5/19/2011 3:43:19 PM #

unbelievable, but the Reds are now 1-5 vs. these guys this year

5/19/2011 3:45:03 PM #

I just don't understand. This team is 15-22 against everyone else and 5-1 against us.

I don't see any way to take that other than the Reds aren't playing with the same intensity/focus against them as they do against everyone else. And as I mentioned in the starter, that exact thing cost the Cardinals the division last year.

And oh by the way, we now go play ten games in a row on the road against, arguably, three of the best eight teams in baseball. Real nice way to go on the road Reds. Real freaking nice.

5/19/2011 3:55:10 PM #

Some I think is matchups, like Grizz pointed out, but I think you are right about the intensity.  That's not just on the players either.  Sure they won 5 in a row, but the last two were gifts from the Cubs.

There are some things right now Dusty is doing that is just silly.  Votto needs way more protection in the lineup.  The Janish or Renteria in the 2 spot has to got to stop immediately now that Rolen is back.

I'm glad Gomes isn't playing as much, but Fred Lewis, while I think he is good to have on this team, is starting to play way too much.  Renteria has a place too, but not in the 2 spot or playing 3-4 days a week.  I heard Walt say last night they need Gomes this year to win the division.  Why?  How do they know Alonso, Sappelt, or Frazier won't come up and hit .315?

5/19/2011 3:47:59 PM #

Really glad I didn't go down to the game today--I'd be even madder than I already am.

5/19/2011 3:48:41 PM #

CRUD MONKEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/19/2011 3:51:37 PM #

And speaking of real freaking nice, the Cardinals, who aren't playing Molina, Holliday or Berkman, are beating the Astros. Awesome.

It's a complete role reversal from 2010 so far - the Reds have gotten the best of the Cardinals, but the Cardinals are taking care of business against who they need to.

If we lose this division by a couple games, these five turds the Reds have laid against a barely major league team these first two months will be the first things I think of.

5/19/2011 3:54:12 PM #

Ash,I told you last week the Pie Rats aren't that bad. Tehy will be inconsistent. I see them as where the Reds were in 09. Thye need a quality veteran or two to get them over the hump.

5/19/2011 3:55:47 PM #

In 09, good teams beat us. Good teams should beat the Pirates - and they have.

To lose 5 of 6 at home to a team that's played .405 ball against the rest of the league is absolutely, utterly indefensible.

5/19/2011 3:58:46 PM #

I agree, but James McDonald does count as not that bad.  Dude is awful.  Of course so was our lineup today.

5/19/2011 3:55:00 PM #

T H E Y  I suck at typing!

5/19/2011 3:56:13 PM #

I agree Ashland.  I cannot fathom how the Reds aren't successful against this team.  Especially since they have a 10-game roadie against strong competition.  Who did the Reds play before they got slapped around by these guys the last time?  Did they win two series in a row last time?

Gotta be thinking the Reds were looking past the RATS to the Native Americans.  Which is stupid, but human nature.

I need chocolate and ice cream now...there goes my dang diet again...wait...Peanut Butter Cookies...have two and not the whole box....

yeah...that'll work

5/19/2011 4:02:21 PM #

1-5 against anyone is bad. Cleveland has the best record in baseball, but if we go 1-5 against them, I'm not happy. At all. This team won 91 games last year, and should be expected to take it another step this year.

But 1-5 against a probably 4th/5th place team? In. De. Fensible.

This isn't a 'tip your cap to the Pirates' moment. This is a figure out what's wrong with the Reds' approach to these games moment. And I hope Dusty can do it.

5/19/2011 5:47:32 PM #

No cap-tipping here. I have had a hate on for the Pirates since "We are Family." Not entirely their fault, so I hate the Pointer Sisters too. Still. Next time, similar situation, work meetings will simply have to wait until the Reds take a lead.

Redwakeup
Redwakeup
5/19/2011 6:12:16 PM #

What the F@&%!!!!! The Reds were never in the game in the last two days!!! Why can't they beat the Pirates this year??? AT HOME EVEN?!?!?! This sucks.

5/19/2011 6:13:45 PM #

I tip my cap to the Pirates. Great at bats early by Cueto. Huge catch by McCutcheon in the first to double off Heisey. That's a run and a runner on 2nd for Votto w/ none out in the first 9 times out of 10. But this was that one time.

Not all the games against the Pirates were cap tippers, but this one was. Great game by Pittsburgh, IMO.

5/19/2011 7:32:19 PM #

Agreed, even though that was a horrible baserunning mistake by heisey. You go to 2nd and stop before you get to the base. If it drops you get to third where you would have gotten if you put your head down and run. If it gets through, you still score. If it's caught. you can get back. If you go balls to the wall,you better not be wrong.

RedFaced
RedFaced
5/19/2011 9:04:31 PM #

Just pissed is all I am.  Buccs beat em good just like they have all year but I don't have to be happy about it.

OK I'm over that now.  On to the next series.  Let's win another one!

5/20/2011 10:13:10 AM #

nothing like losing two to the Buccos to shut this crowd up--hmmm

5/20/2011 10:41:26 AM #

Yep.  Not much to say except, "Get us away from those Pirates!"

5/20/2011 10:43:12 AM #

OK--you can now go join the new thread for the first of the Racist Mascot games

Timmytwoshoezzz
Timmytwoshoezzz
5/20/2011 12:41:49 PM #

I noticed the new thread is not showing up on my machine (I'm using explorer)